Encyclopedia of Greater Philadelphia

Historical Societies

Over the nineteenth and twentieth centuries, Americans started establishing historical societies to collect and preserve historical materials. In 1815, Philadelphia became the fourth U.S. city to host a historical society, the American Philosophical Society’s Historical and Literary Committee. The city’s religious tolerance and central location made it a natural location for religious and ethnic societies. Interests in preserving the history of local places and peoples led to the creation of county, city, and neighborhood historical societies. Leading citizens used history to affirm the area’s contributions to the formation and development of the United States.

Before moving to their headquarters at Thirteenth and Locust Streets in 1882, the Historical Society of Pennsylvania rented space in a number of locations, including the Pennsylvania Hospital's Picture House. (Historical Society of Pennsylvania)

Before moving to its headquarters at Thirteenth and Locust Streets in 1882, the Historical Society of Pennsylvania rented space in a number of locations, including the Pennsylvania Hospital’s Picture House. (Historical Society of Pennsylvania)

Two early historical initiatives foreshadowed the city’s subsequent history of secular and religious societies. In 1791, pioneering historical editor Ebenezer Hazard (1744–1817) of Philadelphia received a letter from Boston, where citizens had just founded the first historical society in the nation, asking about Philadelphians following suit. Hazard replied such an enterprise would likely be considered the province of the American Philosophical Society. Members of the society came to the same conclusion, albeit a quarter-century later, and established a committee to investigate the history of the United States in general and Pennsylvania in particular. Roughly contemporaneous with this action, Protestant Philadelphians established a Religious Historical Society dedicated to Christian history. The list of founders and early officers included ministers from several denominations: Dutch Reformed Jacob Brodhead (1782–1855), Baptist William Staughton (1770–1829), and Presbyterians Samuel Brown Wylie (1773–1852) and Jacob Janeway (1774–1858). Both societies were moribund by the early 1820s.

Elite members of society formed state societies in the early and mid-nineteenth century to preserve the histories they valued. Amid the celebrations leading up to the fiftieth anniversary of the Declaration of Independence, Philadelphians William Rawle (1759–1856), Benjamin H. Coates (1797–1881), and others established the Historical Society of Pennsylvania in 1824, likely due to the encouragement of collector and chronicler John Fanning Watson (1779–1860). Citizens in New Jersey founded a state society in 1845, while Delawareans waited until 1864. Nineteenth-century historical societies primarily drew their membership from the ranks of professional men of European descent. Women participated, first behind the scenes and later in their own right, but class and ethnic biases persisted. The societies relied on their membership for volunteer action and operating funds as they gathered collections of historical materials, lobbied governments for support and preservative action, and prepared historical publications.

The American Baptist Historical Society was founded in Philadelphia and held a ten thousand volume library in its Publication House on Chestnut Street. A fire destroyed the collection and the society later relocated to Rochester, New York. (Photograph by Lucy Davis for The Encyclopedia of Greater Philadelphia)

The American Baptist Historical Society was founded in Philadelphia and held a ten thousand volume library in its Publication House on Chestnut Street, third building from the right in this photograph. A fire destroyed the collection and the society later relocated to Rochester, New York. (Photograph by Lucy Davis for The Encyclopedia of Greater Philadelphia)

Philadelphia hosted a flowering of religious historical societies founded to preserve denominational histories. In the mid-nineteenth century, Presbyterians and Baptists created societies (Presbyterian Historical Society, 1852, and American Baptist Historical Society, 1853) and located their collections in Philadelphia. Philadelphia’s central location and religious tolerance made it an apt choice, and several denominations followed in the steps of the Presbyterians and Baptists, including the German Reformed (later Evangelical) Church (1863), Society of Friends (1873), and Catholics (1880). The Baptist historical society’s collections were destroyed in a fire at the Publication House in Philadelphia in 1896; members rebuilt the collections, but in the mid-twentieth century the society relocated to Rochester, New York, and united with the Colgate Rochester Divinity School’s extensive historical collection.

 A black and white photograph of the German Society of Pennsylvania, a two-story red brick building with arched windows on the first floor, and prominent balconies and faux Greek columns on on the second floor. Decorative stone railings, urns, and cupolas adorn the roof.

The German Society was founded in 1764 to assist newly-arrived German immigrants, particularly those in indentured servitude, by providing interpreters and legal aid among other services. In 1867 it established its archives, which today house over 50,000 books. (PhillyHistory.org)

Other new historical societies attempted to redress imbalances and preserve the history of racial and ethnic groups. In 1897, several black Philadelphians organized the Afro-American Historical Society, also known as the American Negro Historical Society, to preserve and disseminate black history. Although the Afro-American Historical Society lasted little more than a quarter century, member Leon Gardiner (1892–1945) preserved its collections, later deposited with the Historical Society of Pennsylvania. Academics and historians organized the Swedish Colonial Society in Philadelphia 1909. Less than two decades later, colonial society founder and historian Amandus Johnson (1877–1974) established the American Swedish Historical Museum. The older German Society of Pennsylvania (1764) largely focused on charitable and cultural activities, but established archives in 1867. The Balch Institute for Ethnic Studies, founded in 1971, sought to gather material reflecting ethnic, racial, and immigrant diversity. Over the following decades, ethnic cultural organizations advocated for the history of Latinos and Asian Americans in the area. For example, Philadelphia’s Mexican Cultural Center or Centro Cultural Mexicano sponsored historical lectures.

Most historical societies focused on documenting and preserving place-based local, secular identities—particularly in areas where residents felt overlooked by existing societies. In 1834, responding to the older Historical Society of Pennsylvania’s tendency to focus on Philadelphia, Pittsburghers formed the Historical Society of Western Pennsylvania. Although it proved unstable (reorganized in 1843, failed, then reestablished in 1858), it set a pattern for waves of historical society creation over the following centuries. By the end of the nineteenth century, Bucks (1880), Montgomery (1881), Chester (1893), and Delaware (1895) Counties in Pennsylvania and Salem (1884) and Camden (1899) Counties in New Jersey had established societies. Gloucester (1903), Cumberland (1905), and Burlington (1915) Counties, as well as New Castle County (1934) in Delaware followed suit.

A black and white photograph of the American Swedish Historical Museum, a white, classically-inspired building with a green roof adorned with a columned edifice.

In 1926, to coincide with both the Sesquicentennial of the United States and the forthcoming tricentennial of New Sweden, historian Amandus Johnson founded the American Swedish Historical Museum. It is the oldest Swedish-American museum in the United States. (Historical Society of Pennsylvania)

Inspired by the historic preservation movement, residents of various cities, towns, and townships in the region also began to organize societies over the course of the twentieth century. In some cases, existing societies took on preservation responsibilities. The National Society of the Colonial Dames of America assumed care for the Logan family’s house, Stenton. In other instances, residents created new societies to preserve a particular building or site. For example, the Highlands Historical Society (1975) in Fort Washington, Pennsylvania, formed to save Anthony Morris’s Highlands Mansion. The societies’ goals generally expanded to include other preservation activities. The Sharon Hill Historical Society (1991) organized to preserve a train station, but went on to publish a book of photographs. This place-emphasis facilitated the proliferation of historical societies within the region. Philadelphians founded societies to preserve the histories of particular neighborhoods including Germantown, Bridesburg, Frankford, Northeast Philadelphia, and University City. Philadelphia was not alone in hosting multiple societies; Quakertown became home to the Quakertown Historical Society, Quakertown Train Station Historical Society, and Richland Historical Society.

In addition, other societies incorporated historical objectives into their missions over the course of the centuries. Although the American Philosophical Society’s historical committee failed, the parent society shifted to preserve its historical collections and support research. Other institutions, such as the Athenaeum and College of Physicians of Philadelphia, also recognized and acted to preserve their collections’ historical value.

By the early twenty-first century, the region witnessed the creation of even more societies, but encouragement from granting agencies, such as the Barra Foundation, led to consolidation and cooperation among existing societies. The Historical Society of Pennsylvania took on the manuscript collections of the Balch Institute for Ethnic Studies (2002) and the Genealogical Society of Pennsylvania (2006). The Germantown Historical Society merged in 2012 with Historic Germantown, an association of historic houses and museums, to form Historic Germantown: Freedom’s Backyard. Historical societies, individually and in collaboration, supported researchers, developed public programs, advocated for preservation, and more.

Over the course of two centuries, Philadelphians established scores of societies to preserve the history of local places and people. In the process, they laid the groundwork for the region’s extensive historical collections and buildings.

Alea Henle is head of public services librarian at Western New Mexico University. Her research interests explore how efforts to preserve materials for history have shaped what survived.


Copyright 2016, Rutgers University

Related Reading

Carson, Hampton L. A History of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania. Philadelphia: Historical Society of Pennsylvania, 1940.

Contosta, David R. “Salvation through the Past: The Colonial Revival in Germantown.” Germantown Crier 43, no. 4 (1991): 88–95.

The Germantown Historical Society: Part 1 “Sites and Relics: Some Concerns of the Society’s First Fifty Years.” Germantown Crier 42, no. 2 (1990): 28–31. Part 2 “Anxieties and Achievements: The Society from 50 to 90.” Germantown Crier 42, no. 3 (1990): 52–57.

Griffith, Sally F. Serving History in a Changing World: The Historical Society of Pennsylvania in the Twentieth Century. Philadelphia: Historical Society of Pennsylvania, 2001.

Jones, H. G. ed. Historical Consciousness in the Early Republic: The Origins of State Historical Societies, Museums, and Collections, 1791–1861. Chapel Hill, N.C.: North Caroliniana Society and North Carolina Collection, 1995.

Layton, Betty, and Deborah Van Broekhoven. “A Pictorial History of the First Seventy-Five Years of the American Baptist Historical Society.” American Baptist Historical Quarterly 22, no. 2 (2003): 123–28.

McCarthy, Jack, Sarah Leu, and Celia Caust-Ellenbogen. “Building an Inclusive Community of Archival Practice: The Historical Society of Pennsylvania’s Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories.” Pennsylvania History 83, no. 1 (2016): 97–102.

Nash, Gary. First City: Philadelphia and the Forging of Historical Memory. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 2002.

“The Presbyterian Historical Society: One Hundred and Twenty-Five Years.” Journal of Presbyterian History 55, no. 1 (1977): 1–12.

Spady, James G. “The Afro-American Historical Society: The Nucleus of Black Bibliophiles (1897–1923).” Negro History 37, no. 4 (1974): 254–57.

Van Allen, Roder. “The American Catholic Historical Society at 125.” American Catholic Studies: Journal of the American Catholic Historical Society 120, no. 2 (2009): 95–107.

Whitehill, Walter M. Independent Historical Societies. Boston: Boston Athenaeum, 1962.

Collections

American Philosophical Society Archives, 1743–1984, esp. series VIII.4, “Historical and Literary Committee,” American Philosophical Society, 105 S. Fifth Street, Philadelphia.

Historical Society of Pennsylvania, with the Balch Institute for Ethnic Studies, Institutional Records, 1824–2005, Historical Society of Pennsylvania, 1300 Locust Street, Philadelphia.

Leon Gardiner Collection of American Negro Historical Society Records, 1715–1962, Historical Society of Pennsylvania, 1300 Locust Street, Philadelphia.

Places to Visit

American Catholic Historical Society, Philadelphia Archdiocesan Historical Research Center, 100 E. Wynnewood Road, Wynnewood, Pa.

American Swedish Historical Museum, 1900 Pattison Avenue, Philadelphia.

Burlington County Historical Society, 457 High Street, Burlington City, N.J.

Camden County Historical Society, 1900 Park Boulevard, Camden, N.J.

Chester County Historical Society, 225 N. High Street, West Chester, Pa.

Cumberland County Historical Society, 981 Ye Greate Street, Greenwich, N.J.

Delaware County Historical Society, 408 Avenue of the States, Chester, Pa.

Delaware Historical Society, 505 N. Market Street, Wilmington, Del.

Evangelical & Reformed Historical Society, Schiff Library, Lancaster Theological Seminary, 555 W. James Street, Lancaster, Pa.

Friends Historical Association, Haverford College Library, 370 Lancaster Avenue, Haverford, Pa.

Gloucester County Historical Society, 58 N. Broad Street (museum) and 17 Hunter Street (library), Woodbury, N.J.

Historic Germantown: Freedom’s Backyard, 5501 Germantown Avenue, Philadelphia.

Historical Society of Montgomery County, 1654 DeKalb Street, Norristown Pa.

Historical Society of Pennsylvania, 1300 Locust Street, Philadelphia.

Mercer Museum & Fonthill Castle, 84 South Pine Street and East Court Street & Route 313, Doylestown, Pa.

New Castle Historical Society, 30 Market Street, New Castle, N.J.

New Jersey Historical Society, 52 Park Place, Newark, N.J.

Presbyterian Historical Society, 425 Lombard Street, Philadelphia.

Salem County Historical Society, 83 Market Street, Salem, N.J.

Logged in as . Log out? Add a Comment

Your email is never shared. Required fields are marked *

*
*

Share This Page: