At Philadelphia National Cemetery in Northwest Philadelphia, the Mexican War Monument marks the burial site for 38 who died in the conflict. Their remains were moved to the national cemetery in 1927, after the closing of their original burial place, Glenwood Cemetery at Twenty-Seventh Street and Ridge Avenue in North Philadelphia.
Philadelphia National Cemetery, at Haines Street and Limekiln Pike north of Germantown, was among 14 national cemeteries established in 1862, during the Civil War. In its first year, it served as a burial place for soldiers who died in Philadelphia hospitals. In addition to the Mexican War Monument, the cemetery has a Confederate Soldiers and Sailors Monument, commemorating soldiers and sailors whose remains were reinterred after the Civil War, and a Revolutionary War Memorial.