Encyclopedia of Greater Philadelphia

Mount Holly Township, New Jersey

Burlington County Court House

Photograph of Burlington County Courthouse

Completed in 1796, the Burlington County Courthouse opened three years after Mount Holly became the county seat. (Library of Congress)

Library of Congress

Mount Holly became the county seat for Burlington County through an act of legislation in 1793. Burlington County already had a courthouse in Burlington, built in 1683, but an election in 1795 determined the site for the new building. Voters chose Mount Holly over Burlington and Black Horse, and the new Burlington County Court House opened in 1796. It served official court functions until construction of a more modern facility in 1959. The original courthouse resembles Philadelphia’s Congress Hall, which was built in 1787-89 to serve as the county courthouse for Philadelphia. The design for the Mount Holly structure is credited to a master builder from Philadelphia, Samuel Lewis.

Logged in as . Log out? Add a Comment

Your email is never shared. Required fields are marked *

*
*

Share This Page: