Encyclopedia of Greater Philadelphia

Church Farm School

Church Farm School

The bucolic Church Farm School property, shown here in an aerial photograph c. 1924, drew the interest of developers in the 1980s. (Library Company of Philadelphia)

Library Company of Philadelphia

With the bucolic back drop of Chester County, the Church Farm School in Exton was founded by the Doctor. Charles W. Shreiner, an Episcopal priest in 1918. The schools initial mission was to provide religious and practical education for the sons of widowed mothers in the Chester County area. The campus originally designed in the Tutor Revival style by famed Philadelphia architect, Milton Medary (1874-1929). Utilizing the agricultural basis of the area, the aptly named Church Farm School helped preserved the farming culture in Chester County in during the rapid industrialization of the early-twentieth century. During the twenty-first century, the Church Farm School operated as a college preparatory school for high school students.

Logged in as . Log out? Add a Comment

Your email is never shared. Required fields are marked *

*
*

Share This Page: