The U.S. Steel Fairless Plant in Fairless Hills, Bucks County, Pennsylvania, began steel production in 1952 on a 1,600-acre site. The construction of this plant spurred a housing development that was subsidized by U.S. Steel to provide housing for the plant’s employees. The plant, shown here on the bank of the Delaware River in 1973, began to decline in the 1990s, forcing the closure of the hot side of the plant and the pipe mill in 1991.
In 1993 the Environmental Protection Agency urged U.S. Steel to clean up this site because the soil had been contaminated with arsenic, lead, and other heavy metals. The rest of the plant activities were shut down in 2001, except for its galvanizing facility, which in 2016 was still operating.