Carson College for Orphan Girls, founded in 1917 by Robert and Isabel Carson, in the early twenty-first century remains anchored by several buildings erected from its founding to 1932. When the school formally opened in 1918, ten students were enrolled. Enrollment peaked in 1931 at 124 girls, a majority of them from Philadelphia.
Girls received an education through classes and field trips, and they performed chores around the school. They also worked on the Carson farm, which provided much of the food consumed at the college. Older girls often received vocational training and could earn money during the summer months. The girls also attended local church services on Sundays.
In 2008, Carson College merged with the Children’s Aid Society and was renamed Carson Valley Children’s Aid. The school operates as both a residential and day school, providing regular and special education. Carson Valley Children’s Aid serves boys and girls between sixth and twelfth grades.