Encyclopedia of Greater Philadelphia

Orphanages and Orphans

Foulke and Long Institute for Oprhan Girls

A black and white photo of a building at 205 Thirty-Fourth Street in Philadelphia.

The Foulke and Long Institute for Orphan Girls was originally established for orphaned daughters of soldiers, firemen, and other civil servants. The building that housed the dormitory, refectory, and kitchens at 205 Thirty-Fourth Street in Philadelphia is now part of the University of Pennsylvania. (Library of Congress)

Library of Congress

Founded in 1882 by Eleanor Parker Foulke Long and her husband, Burgess B. Long, the Foulke and Long Institute for Orphan Girls originally served orphaned daughters of soldiers, firemen, and other civil servants. In 1888, the Foulke and Long Institute merged with the Industrial Home for the Training of Girls in the Arts of Housewifery and Sewing, which began in 1859. Foulke and Long moved to Germantown in 1913, and moved again to merge with the Youth Study Center of Philadelphia in 1960. A Foulke and Long building at 205 Thirty-Fourth Street, once with a dormitory, refectory, and kitchens, now is part of the University of Pennsylvania campus.

Logged in as . Log out? Add a Comment

Your email is never shared. Required fields are marked *

*
*

Share This Page: