Encyclopedia of Greater Philadelphia

Shibe/Connie Mack Stadium

Shibe/Connie Mack Stadium

An aerial view of Shibe Park, later renamed Connie Mack Stadium, located at Twenty-FIrst and Lehigh Avenue.

Shibe Park opened in 1909 at Twenty-First and Lehigh Avenue. Shibe Park was renamed Connie Mack Stadium in 1953 and remained the home of the Athletics until 1954. The Phillies continued to use Connie Mack until the 1970 construction of Veterans Stadium. (PhillyHistory.org)

PhillyHistory.org

In 1901, the newly established American League added a Philadelphia baseball team known as the Athletics. Owned by sporting-goods manufacturer Benjamin Shibe (1838-1922) and led by manager Connie Mack (1862-1956), the team had almost immediate success. In 1909, the Athletics moved into a new stadium at Twenty-First Street and Lehigh Avenue. Shibe Park, the first stadium constructed entirely of steel and concrete, hosted Major League Baseball All-Star Games in 1943 and 1952. Shibe Park was renamed Connie Mack Stadium in 1953 and remained the home of the Athletics until 1954. The Phillies continued to use Connie Mack until the 1970 construction of Veterans Stadium. The final game at Connie Mack was played October 1, 1970, and the stadium was demolished on July 13, 1976.

Logged in as . Log out? Add a Comment

Your email is never shared. Required fields are marked *

*
*

Comments One Trackback

  1. By Connie Mack Attack | The Brancatelli Blog on July 11, 2021 at 10:30 am

    […] credits: Temple University Digital Collections. For quotes and sources, see Shibe Park, The Encyclopedia of Greater Philadelphia, Laura Fedora. Want more? Go to Robert Brancatelli. The Brancatelli Blog is a member of […]

Share This Page: