Building an Encyclopedia from the Ground Up
Drawing audiences to museums and other cultural venues throughout the city, the Greater Philadelphia Roundtable encourages discussion of Philadelphia history and issues. At each event, audience members have the opportunity to help shape The Encyclopedia of Greater Philadelphia by suggesting topics or commenting on newly published essays.
We are grateful to the numerous civic partners who have made these programs possible. Programs for 2010-12 were organized in partnership with the Historical Society of Pennsylvania and supported in part by the Pennsylvania Humanities Council and the National Endowment for the Humanities’ We the People initiative in American history.
Read and comment on summaries of previous roundtable programs:
2019 – Sanctuaries: Past Into Present
- Sanctuary in Sickness, Sanctuary in Health, forthcoming June 4, 2019, the Lazaretto, Essington, Pa.
- Sanctuary Now, Sanctuary When? April 23, 2019, Arch Street Meeting House, Philadelphia.
- In Search of the Underground Railroad: Connecting People, Places, and Things, April 2, 2019, Rutgers-Camden.
- City of Neighborhoods, City of Homes, March 28, 2012, Philadelphia History Museum at the Atwater Kent
- Philadelphia, the Place that Loves You Back, February 22, 2012, Independence Visitor Center
- City of Firsts, January 19, 2012, The Franklin Institute
- Corrupt and Contented, November 15, 2011, Philadelphia Media Network Headquarters
- Workshop of the World, October 19, 2011, Tacony Branch, Free Library of Philadelphia
- Athens of America, September 16, 2011, Philadelphia Museum of Art
- Cradle of Liberty, June 23, 2011, National Constitution Center
- Green Country Town, May 10, 2011, Pennsylvania Horticultural Society
- Holy Experiment, April 14, 2011, Friends Center
- City of Brotherly Love, March 23, 2011, Historical Society of Pennsylvania
- Philadelphia’s Black Attorneys: Not Just Attorneys, but “Social Engineers,” May 11, 2010, African American Museum in Philadelphia
- Imagining Philadelphia’s Future: The Plans and the Realities, April 22, 2o1o, Academy of Natural Sciences
- Philadelphia-Area Women in the Twentieth Century: What Do We Know, and What Do We Need to Know?, April 1, 2010, Historical Society of Pennsylvania
- Striving for Equality: LGBT Activism in Greater Philadelphia, March 18, 2010, William Way Community Center
- Civic Partnership and Planning Workshop, April 2009, Historical Society of Pennsylvania